So a few weeks ago my friend Joe Gatti of the band JoGaBot invited me to play a show with him at Public Assembly on 12.26.09. I was excited to be invited, but I don’t think I thought the show would be as important to me as it ended up being. This show was a really important moment for me.
1. I put a bunch of time before the show into cleaning and flat ironing my wig, which meant that instead of it looking like the cheap, everyday costume store plastic hair that it is, it looked stylized and slick, and really completed my outfit nicely (that rug really tied the room together, man!). I really felt great about how I looked at this show, and it paid off because it got a lot of people taking pictures and video of my show, which I don’t think they’d do if I didn’t look unusual and interesting and capture their attention. Attracting attention of a nice photographer at the venue, by the way, is what got me the gorgeous photo you see above. And I love that photo!!!!!!
2. It was a full on solo show in a venue with beautiful sound, and I got a great quality video of the whole show, courtesy of my wonderful friend Elijah. This allowed me to really see that my show really sounds excellent with tracks on a great sound system and live vocals, and there’s nothing to be ashamed about when it comes to performing with tracks. What I bring to the table as an artist is the ability to write and record songs in my home studio and sing them live, not play them live, and my show needs to consist of me doing what I do best to best showcase the music and my performing abilities. I think performing with tracks does that, and now I have fantastic video evidence of that to show to any promoter/booker who thinks a show performed with tracks wouldn’t work or be enjoyable or sound awesome, because it is awesome and enjoyable. Finally, I have good video of what I can do live as a solo act! I am SO relieved and excited about that and I think it will be a great help as I go about trying to book a lot of shows this year.
3. I had a great time with this show and was very happy with how it turned out, and there were a lot of random people in the room who heard and watched the show and signed up for my email list afterwards. As I went around the room collecting email addresses, a lot of people kept saying to me “I really hope you do well with this, because you really deserve to. You had such great energy up there and your voice is amazing!” and things like that, which was awesome. People seemed surprised that I was able to put on a high-energy show in a low-attendance room, but my feeling was, a) you have to do your best at every single show because you never know who’s watching, even if it’s only one person (and I proved this with this show, since if I hadn’t given a great show, I wouldn’t have won over any of those new fans) and b) I knew I needed a great video of me doing a great performance, and dammit, I was going to get it come hell or no audience! (And I did!)
So as part of this, the busiest month EVER, I did a one-hour outdoor show at 345 Park Avenue in the daytime on 9/15, then a set of Mexican songs for my friend Fernando’s Mexican Independence Day Party in the evening! Two very different shows, two very different looks. Here are pics of each!
From doing the 345 Park gig, I booked another outdoor, daytime gig for 9/30 at 24 State Street, 12:30pm. Hope to see some of you there if you work around there! This brings the total number of September gigs to 7! Nothing’s nailed down yet for October, but I am working on putting together some cool, free performances with my lovely friend Dan Freeman of Comandante Zero (myspace.com/comandantezero). And of course I’ve got a tremendous amount of work to do finishing and putting out and starting to promote my album and demo as well, so there’s that!
There’re only 3 days left to get your free exclusive download of my song “Hands Off,” so go here now and get it before it’s gone! After this promo is over, I won’t be able to give it away for another 3 months or so, so get it while you can! Click here to get it: www.myspace.com/windows?homepage=jccassis
1. I finished at #12 in the top 25 bands in the Jansport Battle of the Bands first round, so now hopefully the judges will pick me as one of the top 5 acts to move on to the next round!! I’ll hear about that soon.
2. My song “Hands Off” has now been downloaded over 1500 times!!! So exciting!
3. I’ve finished the tracks for “Hold For Your Lovin'” and “Friday Night Forever,” so once I finish the other three tracks, put vocals on all of them, and have them finished in a studio, I will be debuting them!
4. More remixes are in the works. I’m looking forward to another one from Seb Swift in England, a bunch from Andrew Siller in Vermont, one from DJ Frankie P out of New Jersey, one from Steve Slavin in London, and hopefully another Hepnova remix soon. If you want to remix my tunes, just let me know and I will send you the links to download the files you need. A huge thank you to all the remixers so far–you guys are making me so happy and easing my workload by letting me bring out new music for the fans more often and I truly appreciate all your hard work. You’re amazing!
“Hands Off” has now been downloaded almost 1000 times! Thanks everyone!
I keep getting asked to do shows for people, and I keep accepting, so if you have a show/party/event you’d like me to play, just ask and I’ll do it if I can! That’s why I have my own equipment, after all!
Went to an AWESOME music networking event this past Thursday where I met an awesome music lawyer and a wonderful guy who’s a judge for electronic music submissions for SXSW, so I really hope he’ll put in a good word for me when it comes time for me to submit to perform there. SXSW (South by Southwest) is probably the most important music showcase for emerging bands and I really hope to play there this time around. The networking event is called 20dot20 (google it) and if you’re in music, go to it! It has been greatly enjoyable and helpful for me each time I’ve gone.
Also, I’m in the running to win a performance slot at a huge music festival, but I need every vote I can get to move on to the next round. Please vote once a day from now through 8/31/09 from each email address you have (work, home, school, etc) for me here: http://www.sonicbids.com/voting/premium/BandProfile.aspx?c=10372&p=326, and ask all your friends to do it as well! I’m currently in the top 25 but it’s only the second day of voting and I need to stay there for another 27 days to move on to the next round!!
Finally, I have recorded vocals for 5 songs in the last 3 days, which means it’s finally time to go back in the studio and finish them off so I can put them out!! So looking forward to that!! The songs that will be coming out are “Hands Off” (with an improved vocal), “Obsessed” (with a vastly improved vocal, haha) “Dance Dance Dance,” (I think this one will be the next breakout hit), “Anything You Want,” (this one really sounds awesome) and “Good Time.” Can’t wait to see what you think of them! Will be making tracks for 5 more new songs I’ve written, then recording vocals for those, finishing them, and releasing them, and then the album will be done and it’ll be time to start pushing it hard!!!