Check out these fantastic videos of me performing at the Songwriters Hall of Fame New Writers Showcase at The Bitter End on 4.1.10! Thank you to DJ Ahomii for taking these fantastic videos and posting them!
I meant to write this chain of events down right when it happened, and then four days passed. Oops! But check this out:
2. At that show, I met one of the D4AC organizers, Peter Dunn.
3. I went to a Songwriters Hall of Fame networking meeting where I met a singer/songwriter/producer.
4. This singer/songwriter/producer was also in the Songwriters Hall of Fame New Writers Showcase at the Bitter End.
5. Peter Dunn hosts karaoke on Tuesday nights at Barracuda sometimes.
6. Peter invited me to do karaoke at Barracuda with him.
7. I went to Barracuda to do karaoke with Peter.
8. At Barracuda, I ran into the singer/songwriter/producer.
9. He introduced me to the owner of Barracuda, who had been to the Songwriters Hall of Fame show and loved my set.
10. THE OWNER OF BARRACUDA ASKED ME TO PERFORM AT BARRACUDA AND ELMO LOUNGE!!! These are both totally awesome gay venues. Who else came up in gay venues, you ask? Madonna, Bette Midler, Lady Gaga, the list goes on. VERY exciting.
11. At Barracuda, I sang my favorite song ever, “Show Me Love” by Robin S.
12. Mimi Imfurst, the host of karaoke that night, loves that song and all the 90’s songs I sang there.
13. I won the karaoke contest and $100.
14. Mimi Imfurst asked me to sing with her on a future project she’s concocting, as well as BE HER SPECIAL GUEST this Sunday at Posh, where she wants me to sing “Show Me Love” and an original song of mine.
15. Posh is another fun gay club in Hell’s Kitchen, and I think this show is going to be REALLY fun and effective for expanding my fan base and proving that I can be a great entertainer for a gay club crowd, which will hopefully lead to more gigs and more fanbase expansion!
I’ve been wondering how and wanting to break into performing in gay clubs for a long time, and assuming that it would be really hard, when really, it’s just like anything else: once you’ve done the work to get good, it’s who you know. I did the Songwriters Hall of Fame showcase because I knew Peter Bliss. At the networking event and showcase, I met the singer/songwriter/producer. At Barracuda, he introduced me to the owner and I got to know Mimi Imfurst, who hooked me up with the show on Sunday. It’s also the old adage: 90% of life is showing up. If I hadn’t gone to Anna’s show or the networking event, I wouldn’t know Peter or the singer/songwriter/producer. If I hadn’t gone to karaoke, I wouldn’t have met the owner of Barracuda or Mimi Imfurst. Once I was there, all I had to do was be friendly and sing well, and from that I booked three gigs. Makes me wonder what the hell would happen if I went out to these kinds of things every single night! Maybe I should!
Also, I am VERY excited about the fact that the following chain of events also happened recently:
1. I went out with my dear friend Elijah to Sugarland in Brooklyn.
2. Sugarland is an AWESOME little gay club that is the perfect size, has a great crowd, plays great music, and has live performances on a little stage on the dancefloor that are very similar to what I do.
3. I asked someone how I get to perform there. He told me to talk to the bartender.
4. I talked to the bartender about what I do and asked how to perform there.
5. He booked me into the once-monthly showcase, Street Smart, on April 25th, from which he often culls acts for the dancefloor performances. If I impress him there, I’ll get to perform again at Sugarland!
So, the awesome news is that it seems if I just get out there and do what I do best (singing, performing, talking to people, chasing the opportunities I want), the results can be really amazing, easy and quick. Hoo. Ray.
Here are some pics from the 4/1/10 Songwriters Hall of Fame New Writers Showcase at The Bitter End. So fun! To see more pictures, become my fan on facebook.
I have two very important, very fun shows coming up that I’d love for you to come and see. The first is Saturday, March 27th, at Art For Progress’ Clash of the Artists event in New York City. A ticket gets you admission, free drinks, food, awesome entertainment, and a ballot to vote for me and help me win the music competition. The proceeds from the event also go towards supporting education. If I win first place, I’ll get a great prize pack, so I hope you’ll come out and support me there. Click here for more information and to buy tickets: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/100460.
The second show is a spot in the same showcase where Lady Gaga was discovered three years ago! I’ll be performing in the Songwriters Hall of Fame New Writers Showcase on Thursday, April 1, 8pm at The Bitter End (147 Bleecker Street) in New York. Admission is FREE so I really hope to see you there. Here’s the link for more info: http://songhall.org/news/entry/950. It’s FREE, so bring all your friends!